AND ITS HISTORY
Since its first foundation stone laid around the year 1450, the Lučivná Chateau has witnessed several kings on the throne, changes in the territory arrangement, and owners of the chateau, who more or less contributed to its present form.
BEFORE THE VÁRADI-SZAKMARI FAMILY
Thanks to the adventurous character of Imrich Tököli, a member of the Tököli family, the territory that he managed became legally a vassal of the Ottoman Empire after Turkish vicegerent Ibrahim crowned him, in 1682, the king of central Hungary as a Turkish vassal.
Imrich´s success was conditioned by the success of Turkish army. in 1683 the Ottoman Empire started an extensive offensive against Vienna, which meant the beginning of the liberation of the Slovak and Hungarian territories from the Turkish rule. In 1684, the property was confiscated by Leopold of Habsburg, Archduke of Austria, King of Hungary and Czechia, and Roman and German Emperor from the Habsburg dynasty. Three years later, he sold the property to count Ferdinand Rueber who died without having a male descendant. Based on an agreement with the Emperor and heirs of Reuber, the Kežmarok Castle and relevant villages were bought by the Town of Kežmarok for 80 000 gold coins.
Immediately after the uprising of František II. Rákoci, the Town of Kežmarok sold Lučivná to Ján Nolten, who sold it in 1753 for 28 000 gold coins to his townsman and holder of the title of nobility Donáth Váradi-Szakmari. Inhabitants of Lučivná served to the new landlord until the abolition of servitude in 1848.
Descendants of the old Váradi-Szakmári family were the last owners of the chateau until the year 1945. The family bout the chateau from the Town of Kežmarok. The memoirs of a living descendant of the family, Adorjan Várady-Szakmári, show us that the chateau was built as a summer-house of King Matthias (Matthias Corvinus) in the middle of the 15th century, but it was smaller than today. Gradually, new rooms were added in the eastern section and later, in 1873, a ground floor hall that was 19 metres long was built on the southern part by Adorjan´s father, Dónat IV. Várady-Szakmári. After World War II, the property was confiscated and taken away from the family by the new leaders of the National Committee. Some pieces of the original furniture and equipment can be found in the Košice Museum today. You can recognize them thanks to the crow symbol.
The last member of the family died in 1960. He is buried in the family graveyard in Lučivná.